Are you looking for a chance to join a booming company that still has a small-business feel? Cask Global Canning Solutions is a successful and growing company, and thanks to our ongoing success we’re expanding our Engineering Team.
Cask sends our canning equipment and people all over the world; we love enabling success for our craft beverage customers from very diverse backgrounds. The industries we operate in are modern, entrepreneurial, changing the way the world consumes beverages.
Cask and our canning line products are changing the way that craft beverages are delivered to consumers all around the world and in doing so we are helping to save the world’s resources, making the future more sustainable. Cans are infinitely recyclable. No other drinks packaging can make that statement – we’re proud to say, we’re making a difference. We have grown from less than a dozen staff five years ago to more than 65 today and we've installed more than 1,250 canning systems in over 60 different countries across the world, and now we are looking to recruit a Control System Designer to help us develop new and innovative products.
About the PLC Programmer Role
At Cask, we manufacture world class automated canning systems particularly well-tailored to craft beverage producers. Most importantly you are a dynamic problem solver who loves to “figure it out”.
We're looking for people who are curious and energized by being creative.
At Cask our engineering team are not office dwellers. You are just as comfortable with a wrench or multi-meter in your hand on the shop floor as you are designing new control systems.
Your goal is simply to help us solve problems and build cool stuff.
60% - Experimentation and Design
- Test new ideas and concepts related to the operation of our products by building models or test apparatus.
- Develop product specifications, scopes of design and functional requirements
- Manage multiple project timelines, budgets and objectives to deliver innovation rapidly and cost effectively.
- Apply engineering knowledge to the design and specification of new and current electrical and control products.
- Create SolidWorks models and drawings to facilitate the design and manufacture of control systems for our products
- Create electrical drawings using SolidWorks Electrical Schematic.
- Collaborate with manufacturing personnel to design/modify equipment for ease and speed of manufacture
- Develop sequence of operations/control strategies to automate the equipment
- Write and maintain technical documents, such as user manuals, equipment specifications, etc.
20% - Prototyping and Testing
- Assemble, wire, and test new products to validate design before full scale manufacturing
- Operate and optimize equipment to meet product specifications / project objectives
10% - Field Testing/Service
- Travel to site for Beta testing of new products in Craft Breweries in and around Calgary and around the globe.
- Occasional travel to a customer site may be required to resolve difficult technical issues.
10% - Provide Technical Support
- Assist Customer Support team with challenging technical support cases
- Provide technical guidance to manufacturing team
- Provide technical advice to the sales team in evaluating customer inquiries
Our ideal candidate is an individual with real world experience designing industrial control panels and control systems
- A degree or diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Automation Engineering, or a related field
- Control panel design experience using SolidWorks and SolidWorks Electrical Schematic
- Experience working within a craft-beverage environment and/or with packaging equipment is considered a strong asset
- Experience programming PLCs/HMIs would be highly beneficial.
- Well versed in the Canadian Electrical Code and applicable CSA electrical and functional safety standards
- Specific knowledge of Beckhoff hardware is highly beneficial.
- Great problem-solving skills, an ability to multi-task, prioritize, and control time effectively
- Can manage projects independently without significant technical oversight.
- We rely on technology a lot so you must be proficient with standard productivity and collaboration software, including Microsoft Office 365
- Infrequent international travel may be required from time to time up to 10%. A valid passport and the ability to travel to the United States is required.
Working at Cask
This role will be located at our manufacturing facility in SE Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
You’ll receive a base compensation, generous benefits including a health plan, defined contribution pension plan and an eligibility to participate in our annual bonus program. There is real growth potential and advancement opportunities in an exciting and rapidly expanding company.
PLC Programmer has maximum compensation of approximately $98,400 which is comprised of:
- $70,000-$90,000 annual salary, based on experience
- 3% pension matching
- Potential for up to a 20% annual bonus for outstanding performance.
Want to join the Cask family? We can't wait to meet you!